Groups of hosting solutions
A hosting solution implies depositing and/or sharing particular web content on a web hosting server administered by a web hosting company. There are different groups of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's have a glance at these. Doing so, you can pick what you need, on the basis of whether you desire to create a web portal, email addresses, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a service offered by given providers, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages are often supported by displaying advertisements beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a certain span of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely erroneous explanation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would share the load between separate stacks of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different site hosting services (mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a sort of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain suppliers offer a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting variant is suitable if you want to share an enormous quantity of pictures with chums or associates since the solution is mostly free. You will get a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your e-mail box accounts. Some firms provide web hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting solution. If you would like to keep a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can create e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a specific video clip, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file produces a certain amount of CPU load, so with a few video files and several hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will allow you to have as many video files as you want to without hassling about system supplies.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to have a web site. To a certain extent, it includes all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can set up databases and email addresses, upload videos, etc. At Web Hosting Giants, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated server hosting plans that allow you to have all of the abovementioned services in one single place. There may be limitations based on the sort of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse compared to the routine e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are meant for particular web content exclusively.